Date, time & venue
2023-04-14;1400 - 1630;CLP Power – Power Quality Workshop
Technical Visit – CLP Power – Power Quality WorkshopOrganised by EL Division14 Apr 2023 (Friday)
Please note that the Technical Visit – CLP Power – Power Quality Workshop will be held on 14 Apr 2023 (Friday) from 1400 to1630 at CLP Power – Power Quality Workshop.
The event is free of charge. Registration is required. The number of participants is limited to 30. Applications will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis. Priority will be given to members of EL Division. For details, please click here. For registration, please register online at https://forms.gle/KfiDEeoCbT2EUuk27 . The deadline for registration is 11 April 2023. For enquiries, please contact Mr. Keith Wong via Email: email@example.com.
Electrical Division Committee
Technical Visit – CLP Power – Power Quality Workshop
Power Quality Workshop illustrates power quality issues to the customers. The Workshop is divided into the following zones:
1. Greeting Theatre – A video introducing CLP’s key milestones and its commitment to supporting the growth of Hong Kong.
2. Power System Model – This interactive model provides an overview of the power supply system.
3. Fault Clearance – This exhibit shows the major sources of power disturbances and how a fault is cleared from the power system. Visitors can get a better understanding on the power system by on-site participation.
4. Power Quality & You – This is a Kinect game allowing visitors an interactive experience on voltage dips. Visitors can learn how our daily lives are affected by voltage dips and are guided through the corresponding mitigation measures.
5. Lifts & Escalators – This illustrates the impact on lifts and escalators brought by voltage dips and the possible mitigations to combat the issues.
6. Tripping of Main Switches – The game sets a scenario of main switch (ACB) tripping as a result of a voltage dip. Visitors are introduced with the causes of the phenomenon and the measures normally taken to reduce the impact on customers.
7. Harmonics Suppression – It introduces the benefits of adopting a harmonic filter in the event of harmonic distortions.
8. Intelligence Corner – It provides visitors an area to flip over the eBook and download the related materials such as leaflets regarding power quality, Supply Rules and PQ Handbook.
Through a guided tour, visitors are introduced to the causes and problems arising from power quality issues. The demonstration helps customers to reinforce the concept, achieving public education purposes.
Date: 14 Apr 2023 (Friday)
Time: 1400 - 1630
Enrolment Deadline: 5 Apr 2023
The visit is free of charge to HKIE members. The number of participants will be limited to 30 based on a first-come-first-served principle, however, priority will be given to the members of the Electrical Division.
Please visit https://forms.gle/KfiDEeoCbT2EUuk27 for registration. Separate email notification about the details of visit will be sent to successful applicants after the enrolment deadline. For enquiries, please contact Mr. Keith Wong via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Neither the Institution nor any other parties facilitating this visit accepts any liability whatsoever in connection with the visit.
Technical Visit to CLP Power’s Power Quality Workshop
By Ir Henry T L Chan
Power quality (PQ) has become a concern of our Hong Kong citizens in recent years with the increased application of sophisticated computing, automation and control technologies, especially in the public services, commercial, telecommunications and industrial sectors. Of the power quality issues, voltage dips and harmonics are the two major contributors in Hong Kong. To learn more about power quality issues and how customers can reduce their impact, the HKIE Electrical Division organized a technical visit to Power Quality (PQ) Workshop of CLP Power (CLPP) on 14 April 2023 with a total of 18 participants.
This guided tour illustrated the causes and impacts arising from PQ issues and demonstrated practical measures that customers may adopt to mitigate power quality issues. Through the following zones and models in the workshop, the participants achieved to visit:
On behalf of the Division, we wish to express our sincere gratitude to CLPP and the team to enrich our members’ understanding on PQ issues. It is understood that volt-dips cannot be eliminated. We should cooperate with CLPP and contribute to customer-side improvement initiatives to address volt-dips.